What's the Orange GoPro Doohickey?

This video tutorial guide is brought to you today by the letter….... Actually, we are reposting this video due to the parade of never ending comments we get on it. So to you, all the newly acquired GoPro owners—Let the Doohickey roll, or dampen as it may be.

PointofView Cameras on the Quick-Release Lock Mount Attachment. Whew that’s a mouth full, better we just refer to it as the GoPro Doohickey

While it’s purpose is not for dampening, it does dampen vibration as a side effect of its true purpose.

The quick release lock prevents the camera from popping out of its mount in the event of a heavy rear impact. It’s rare that it happens but important to use that rubber plug/lock in high impact watersports like surfing or kayaking where a big wave or impact with water could hammer the camera from behind. Good to use that lock skiing, too, where a heavy wipeout could lead to a header in the powder.

Official GoPro Response to our post:

Sorry…we need to do a better job of explaining that part. It is not a dampening part, although it does do a wee bit of that as a side effect of its true purpose.

It is a quick release lock that prevents the camera from popping out of its mount in the event of a heavy rear impact. It’s rare that it happens but important to use that rubber plug/lock in high impact watersports like surfing or kayaking where a big wave or impact with water could hammer the camera from behind. Good to use that lock skiing, too, where a heavy wipeout could lead to a header in the powder.

Just a little added security to an already bomber system for when you are really gunning it.

Also, that rattle in the sample video is NOT the camera rattling. It sounds like a helmet’s strap or even the vented helmet baseplate’s excess strap slapping on the housing but that sound is not the camera moving in its mount. We can guarantee that.

Thanks for your review, all that same.

You Can check out further comments made to our original post on Vimeo

Tags: GoPro Orange Rubber Thing, GoPro White Rubber Thing, GoPro Rubber thing, Go Pro Rubber Thing

See • BrandsGoProHelmet Cam ResourcesHelmet Cam Reviews //

Comments

By kalahary
14 10 2010 at 02:50 PM

Thanks, Now it is clear to me, I didnĀ“t know the purpose for that accesory

By PointofViewCameras
15 10 2010 at 02:17 PM

Yeah… many people didn’t but we are glad it is all cleared up now!

By Nick
07 12 2010 at 06:47 AM

Thanks guys

By PointofViewCameras
07 12 2010 at 06:21 PM

@Nick No Problem!

By BC
03 01 2011 at 03:48 PM

Just got my GoPro HD and couldn’t figure out that one little piece.  GoPro ought to pay you some nominal amount and use your video on their support page.  Thanks for producing this short video.  Now I can rest.

By PointofViewCameras
03 01 2011 at 04:14 PM

@BC. No problem! Glad this helped. Does any one want to see us produce any other how to videos?

By Brian
20 02 2011 at 06:34 PM

Just FYI (to GoPro and others) that clicking noise is definitely the mount (not the camera rattling in the housing).  I’ve found that to prevent the rattling I can either jam a wedge-shaped piece of wood into the mount (where the mount clips into the base) or use the doohickey.  Either way, the clip is a bit loose in the mount and it rattles (rather annoyingly at times).

By corey
31 03 2011 at 08:59 PM

I hear the EXACT same rattling sound when I wear it mounted to my motorcycle helmet in off road conditions.

Correct. It’s not the camera, it’s the play between the buckle and the mount. There’s a few mils of play after it snaps in place. With rapid vibration it makes that exact sound you hear.

By Tenisd
04 04 2011 at 10:47 PM

Thanks smile It was truly helpful smile

By MJFargo
07 07 2011 at 01:04 PM

Let me pat myself on the back for figuring out where the little doohickey went, but for the life of me I couldn’t understand why it went there. If the purpose is to prevent disloding the camera from a back force, what prevents that back force from dislodging the doohickey? Well, at any rate, I do appreciate this discussion. (truly, truly helpful). Next: How do you change the camera case’s waterproof backplate?

By PointofViewCameras
08 07 2011 at 01:09 PM

@MJFargo
The main purpose of this part is to prevent the buckle from popping out in the event of an impact. A secondary purpose is to prevent unwanted vibration in the mount.

Since the buckle slides forward and the “doohickey” is inserted from above, it would not dislodge from an impact since it has to be pulled out from above. Any impact that would pop the quick release buckle would be from the front or back of the camera.

By Ncik
20 11 2011 at 04:30 PM

I have the curly quick release and the doohickey and i cant take the quick release off or take out the doohickey…Please tell me if im having a brainfart and what i need to do to get it off

By PointofViewCameras
23 11 2011 at 11:19 AM

@Ncik
You should be able to simply lift the quick-release buckle lock (aka doohickey) out of the buckle so that the buckle can be clipped out from the mount.